Three Recommendations for the New Year (2016)
Happy New Year!
As we enter 2016, we thought we would provide you with three recommendations to help boost your digital marketing effectiveness in 2016.
Develop a Mobile Strategy
In July of 2015, we published a blog post that talked about the importance of "mobile friendly" websites. After the post was published, the Pew Center for Internet, Science, and Technology released Technology Device Ownership: 2015, which documents device ownership in America.
As you will see, the growth in mobile device ownership is staggering:
Technology Device Ownership 2015
- 68% of U.S. adults have a smartphone, up from 35% in 2011
- Tablet computer ownership has edged up to 45% among adults
- Smartphone ownership is nearing the saturation point with some groups:
- 86% of those ages 18-29 have a smartphone
- 83% of those ages 30-49 have a smartphone
- 87% of those living in households earning $75,000 and up annually
To reach these users on their mobile devices, consider the following:
- Develop a "mobile" version of your website
- Develop a mobile app that allows users to perform a specific action (make an appointment, check inventory, make a purchase)
- Develop a "mobile web app" that allows the users to have an app experience, without the need to download the app on a device
The importance of mobile will continue to grow. Contact us if you would like to schedule a time in 2016 to discuss your mobile strategy.
Implement Content Development and Distribution Strategy
Twenty years ago (January 3, 1996) Bill Gates penned an essay, Content is King, predicting those who succeed in the digital world will "propel the Internet forward as a marketplace of ideas, experiences, and products - a marketplace of content."
In 2016, the development of quality content is an essential component of a digital strategy. It allows for you to establish your organization as a trusted thought leader, encourages online engagement, and improves organic search engine optimization (SEO).
It is important to note here that content creation is a time consuming task. We have found that it often serves a choke point for a project. We recommend that you treat content creation as you would other project tasks - with specific roles, responsibilities, and delivery dates.
Once the content is produced, it's vital to share your insights with your target audience. In 2016, consider implementing an email marketing or social media marketing campaign, which will allow to regularly "touch" your clients and prospects, and measure the response.
Email and social media marketing offer an effective, measurable tool to engage your audience.
To implement a content creation and distribution strategy, we recommend you
- Develop an editorial calendar for content - weekly, monthly, quarterly
- Treat it as a task - with assigned roles, responsibilities, and delivery dates
- Draft quality content
- Schedule regular emails to social media posts to distribute your content
- Measure and refine
Content development and outreach will always be an important part of a digital strategy. Contact us if you would like to schedule a time in 2016 to discuss your content development strategy.
Invest in a Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and/or a Pay-Per-Click Campaign (PPC)
Search Engine Optimization and Pay-Per-Click campaigns are valuable strategies that can help drive traffic your site.
Search Engine Optimization can help your site appear in organic search results. Search statistics show that in most industries, organic search accounts for over 50 percent of inbound website traffic. In order to increase your visibility in organic search results, we recommend that you review and, if necessary adjust your on and off page SEO tactics in 2016
On Page SEO includes everything on the page:
- Title Tags
- Header Tags
- Body Content
- Internal Linking
Off Page SEO includes everything off the page:
- Social Media Integration
The competition for visibility in search results is intense. In addition to Search Engine Optimization, Pay-Per-Click campaigns can help you improve your standings in search results, and generate valuable clicks.
Pay-Per-Click campaigns allow you to exert complete control over your online marketing dollars. With Pay-Per-Click campaigns, you:
- Control your keywords.
- Control your ad copy
- Control your geographical target area
- Control the time your ads display
- Control your budget
- Control your audience
Focusing on SEO and PPC will increase your visibility in search results. Contact us if you would like to schedule a time in 2016 to discuss SEO and PPC.
We look forward to helping you improve your digital marketing effectiveness in 2016.